What is a
In civil commitments, the court orders a person into treatment based on mental health concerns. Specifically, the court may involuntarily commit somebody into a treatment facility if s/he:
- Has a mental illness; and:
- Is unwilling to seek treatment voluntarily; or
- Is a threat to the safety of himself/herself or the safety of others.
There are two different types of commitments:
- Mentally ill, developmentally disabled, or chemically dependent; and
- Sexually danger person (SDP) and sexual psychopathic personality (SPP).